Checklist after Arriving

Come to SJTU Minhang Campus

  • From Pudong airport.
    • By taxi: 200 RMB in daytime and 250 RMB in night time and takes 45 min with no traffic jam.
    • By subway:  Line 2 from Pudong Intl' Airport , after 33 minutes, transfer to Line 2 at Guang Lan Road Stop , after 30 minutes,transfer to Line 1 at People Square Stop, after 30 minutes, transfer to Line 5 at Xinzhuang Stop, and arrive at Jianchuan Road Stop. Taxi to campus with 12 RMB.  21 RMB in total and takes 150min also in total.
    • By Airport Bus Line 7(机场专线7号) and transfer bus no. 180 . It takes 120 min and costs 22 RMB. 
  • From Hongqiao Airport/Train Station.
    • By taxi: 105 RMB and takes 30 min with no traffic jam.
    • By subway:  Line 10 at Hong Qiao Stop, ,transfer to Line 1 after 30minutes at South Shanxi Road, tramsfer to Line 5 after 30minutes at Xinzhuang Stop,  arrive at Jianchuan Road Stop. Taxi to campus with 12 RMB.  18 RMB in total and takes 90 min in total.
    • By Bus (虹桥枢纽4路) RMB 7 from Hongqiao to Shanghai Jiao Tong University stop. It takes 80 min and 7 RMB in total. 


Check in your dormitory or rent an apartment by yourself

  • You need to reserve your dormitory after you get your admission letter from this website. For information, click here.
  • Most students with successful online reservation will be informed of their dorm room number before arrival. All new students are allowed to check in a maximum of 3 days prior to the registration date printed on the admission letter. Earlier check-in is not allowed. If you arrive before your allowed move in date, you will need to arrange to stay in a hotel near campus.
  • Please register for your room within 24 hours after arrival with passport and admission notice. 
  • Minhang Campus Dormitory: Checkin desk Room 109, Dorm Building No.8. Time: 8:30-11:30 am, 13:30-17:00 pm, Mon. to Fri., Contact: +86-21-34203955,
  • Xuhui Campus Dormitory:  checkin desk Taoliyuan(桃李苑)  Time: 8:30-11:30 am, 13:30-17:00 pm, Mon. to Fri., Contact: +86-21-62933296,
  • Live off campus:By Chinese Law, all foreigners are required to register his or her address of accommodation with the local police station within 24 hours after arrival into China. Meanwhile, the students living off campus should register his or her address and local contact information with the International Student Service Center of SJTU as soon as possible. Information about the off-campus accommodation registration is: Room B202-204, New Admin. Bldg. Time: 8:30-11:30 am, 13:30-17:00 pm, Mon. to Fri., Contact: +86-21-34203955,
  • Check SJTU Campis Map 


Finish “Registration Form of Temporary Visitors” (临时住宿登记表)

  • You need a certificate from International Student Service Center, in Room 204, New Administration Building before you go 
  • Minhang campus dormitory: Room 109, No. 8 International Student dormitory Building front desk 
  • Xuhui Campus dormitory: building front desk. 
  • Live off campus: hotel front desk, or the nearest police station .
  • DO NOT forget this or you would would be fined when the policeman find you not having done this. The worst would be you get repatriated. 


 Getting a moblie phone number in China

There are a few telecommunications companies in China. Each company has varying prices for the different packages available. You can sign up for a line at the official shops (营业厅) of these companies by bringing along your passport or identification documents. To ensure that you always have a working line, be sure to keep a positive balance in your account!
Minhang Campus: 821 -829 Dongchuan Rd.(Opposite to the Campus Gate at the No.800 Dongchuan Rd.)
上海市闵行区东川路 821-829 号(交通大学东川路800 号斜对面)



Registration at SJTU &SEIEE  

1. On the date printed on your Admission Notice,  bring the following materials to the required location for registration  .  

Admission Notice from SJTU

Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China(JW202)

Valid regular passport

original diploma 

make sure you have paid tuition and accommodation fees if you are not scholarship students 

8 passport-sized photos

2. Location to register:   1st floor of New Administrative Buidling on the registration day, or room 807, New Administrative Building if not registration daty

 SEIEE registration: room 108, SEIEE building 3.  

3. After registration, you would immediately get a Bank of China card (银行卡) and SJTU International Student ID(校园卡). With this student ID card, you could: 1) for all study-related purposes including applying for elective courses, paying fees, enrollment, etc. 2) use the student information retrieval system to print out your score report after the final exams of each semester for free. 3) Apply for a “Library Card” at the school library. You should use the card according to the rules and regulations set by the school library. 4)Pay on-campus canteen dining fee and shuttle bus fee. 

4. Three month later, you would get you Students Certificate(学生证), which you may need from the second semester for registration.

5. If you are not able to register on schedule, please send a written explanation to SEIEE at least one week before the semester begins. Failure to do so will be deemed as quitting school and you will automatically lose your student status. The offer of accommodation will also be withdrawn by the school.



Book a date for Physical Examination

X1 Visa students need to obtain a health re-examination certificate from Shanghai Health and Epidemic-Prevention Center to get a residence permit. It may take a week or two to get the result and the result would be needed to apply for residence card. Since international students need to finish residence card application in the first month of arrival, so you need to hurry to get physical examination result.

Make the appointment as soon as you can get access to Internet through the link



Appy for Residence Card for Foreigners(外国人居留证)

All the “X1” visa holders are required to apply for “Residence Card for Foreigners”. With this card is especially useful for multi-exit-and-entry. 

The application of “Residence Card for Foreigners” must be done within 30 days after you arrive at China, or you would get penalty of RMB 500/day.

If you hand in passport, health certificate and relevant fees within the designated time, Exit and Entry Department in Room 200B in New Administrative Buidling would apply on your behalf for your “Residence Card for Foreigners” (also named Residence Permit) at the Shanghai  Exit and Entry Bureau collectively. Otherwise, you will have to go to the Bureau in person to apply for the card.

Location of Shanghai  Exit and Entry Bureau : 1500 Minsheng Road, Pudong District, Shanghai  

One needs to pay 400 RMB for 12 months stay, and 800 RMB for 12-36 months stay.  

Check more information here



All the international students are required to buy insurance. Students without insurance would not be considered for all the scholarship opportunities. Please consult international student service center (Room 204, New Administrative Building) for more information.

[ 2014-06-06 ]